Lunch with 'Aunties'

30 July 2008

I had lunch with my aunties today. Five of them altogether. Oh! they are neither sisters to my father or mother, nor the wives of my uncles. They represent a select group of women in our lives. In Malay term, they are known as 'makcik-makcik'.

'Makcik-makcik' as popularly known, have special characteristics associated with them. They normally wear tudung and baju kurung to office and are known to be the best reporter in town - even though the accuracy of news reported can sometimes be challenged :-p. Their baju kurung glitters under the sunlight, and with additional and right accessories, this office attire can be magnificently transformed into baju kenduri. 'Makcik-makcik' are excellent at multi-tasking and at any given time, can perform at least 2 tasks or more.

This is the story of my 'aunties'. We used to work together in the same department a few years back. From time to time, we get together to share news and update each other on personal development. This time around, I decided to treat my aunties for lunch at Sari Ratu. As I don't drive, one of them had volunteer to drive. Unfortunately, she was on MC today. So, another auntie quickly stepped in as a replacement driver. And so, the rombongan to Sari Ratu masih berjalan as planned.

When the 'makcik-makcik' get together (the correct Malay term is bersidang), you must be quick on your toes to capture the relevant information, as information flows freely and rapidly from one makcik to another. Today, I learnt so much about work-life issues including pregnancy issues, customer service issues, preparation for umrah, managing household as well as taking care of the beloved ones. Of course, a discussion about other aunties who are not part of this 'persidangan' has always been in the agenda...ha ha.....


To me, 'makcik-makcik' provide me with free marriage counseling/therapy, without having to really be married. Such session has both entertainment and educational values.



Today, we ordered a lot of food. We had two 'hidang' of lauk and really enjoyed each other's company. Long live my 'aunties'. We shall do this again soon....



2 comments:

ukanera arenaku said...

lah, ingatkan makcik2 Akasia! hehehe

Mya said...

abang buls, selamat hari raya. maaf zahir batin eh... :-)